Disaster Risk Financing Technical Working Group
The Disaster Risk Financing (DRF) Technical Working Group (TWG) was established in 2019 in response to a need to better understand the current landscape of existing disaster risk financing mechanisms available to the region and the gaps. The TWG current membership includes Fiji Ministry of Economy, Tonga Ministry of Finance, Samoa Ministry of Finance, SPC, FAO, Australia Pacific Climate Partnership, WFP, UNDRR, OCHA, PFIP/PICAP, Worldbank, ADB, MFAT, DFAT, Oxfam Pacific, Citywide Youth Network and Fiji National Provident Fund.
At the 2021 Pacific Forum Economic Minister Meeting (FEMM), agreed that the TWG will serve as an expert group for advisory support to FEMM on Disaster Risk Finance. The TWG as a collaboration of partners and Forum Island Countries, facilitate priorities of the FEMM in the DRF space and ensure the Economic Ministers are regularly apprised of new and emerging opportunities for strengthened financial protection against disasters.
DRF Technical Working Group Working Pillars
- Coordinating across regional Org and agencies working in the DRF space.
- Update the DRFWG Risk Financing Capability Mapping of projects and activities in the region
- Engagement with in member countries including NGOs and CSOs
- Intra and inter-regional peer to peer learning
- Establish an online repository of DRF information through the PRP website
- Establish and coordinate DRF Learning Series
- Strategic Communications
- DRF Symposium
- Undertake private sector mapping of DRF needs of countries
- Provide DRF facilitation to subregional private sector workshops for Polynesia and Micronesia
- Convene dialogue on enhancing PPP DRF opportunities
- Support the ongoing roll out of DRF focused awareness programs in member countries
- Coordinate opportunities for DRF training programs for national stakeholders
- Integrate DRF components into DRM courses in University of the South Pacific
- Support development of national DRF strategies of member countries